View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 11:26 AM   #8
Larry_Loo

Default Re:Anyone using a GPS?

I purchased a GPS unit, a Garmin StreetPilot III, about 18 months ago before we took a 30 day long drive from California to Atlanta and back. The moving map equipped Garmin GPS unit came with a City Navigator CD that provided minute details about roads within most U.S. cities and towns. Before that trip I programmed the GPS unit with all of the RV parks that we were considering stopping at across the county. The GPS unit performed very well. Most of the time it led us right to the door or entrance of the place we were looking for. On a rare occasion it got confused and gave misleading directions. This was undoubtedly due to the fact that sometimes the GPS' data conflicted with the actual location of a highway, turnout or street. This occurs with all GPS units because they are only as accurate as the maps that are inputted into them. Since new streets and highways don't appear on paper maps for about 2 to 4 years after they've been constructed, GPS databases have a built in error due to this time lag.

But it was wonderful to be able to drive through unfamiliar parts of the country with a navigator who knew that particular part of the countryside like the back of her hand (I say "her" because our GPS unit has a female's voice). We didn't even have to look at the moving map if we were too busy because her voice prompts came very frequently whenever we approached a turn, turnoff, highway change or our destination. It never failed to shock us how accurate the thing was. For example, on a side trip to the Tallahassee, FL area to visit my brother-in-law, the GPS unit led us out into the countryside, down meandering narrow one lane roads right to the mailbox of my brother's house! Another feature of our unit that comes in handy is its ability to locate the nearest services. We can be on a highway away from any cities and towns and with the pressing of a few buttons, find the nearest gas station, hospital or restaurant. And, with the pressing of a couple more buttons, the unit will lead us directly to the gas station or restaurant of our choice.

Garmin has come out with a newer model of my GPS unit, but, mine still works marvelously. I've made mounting plates for it so that we can switch it from one vehicle to another. The only downside to owning a GPS unit is that new streets and businesses are always being put in; one has to purchase a new CD database every year or two in order to keep a unit's database current. It's time for me to purchase the new CD that came out recently; I believe it costs about $130 - $140.

For those of you who haven't experienced the pleasure of driving into unfamiliar territory with a capable GPS unit, driving with one will literally knock your socks off. My wife and I no longer argue about my refusal to stop and ask for directions at a gas station. And, I've noticed that she's calmer and more relaxed during our trips because of the knowledge that we'll never get lost - well, at least not lost within plus or minus 30 feet. ;D ;D