View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I will take issue with MarcoPolo's comment #2. I will also state that I only have a Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesel ownership experience, so it is not representative of all vehicles.

I have found it to be cheaper to have the diesel. My wife has a 5.7L Hemi Grand Cherokee, so I am comparing apples to apples.

Anyway, while oil changes are more expensive, the recommended interval for my vehicle is 12,000 miles. It costs me $120 for the full-service change. With $48 for the gasser oil changes, and 3,500 mile interval, I spend $44 less every 12,000 miles on oil changes (not a chain oil-change shop).

I have done all recommended service, and there is no difference that I have seen in overall maint. costs. In the one year I have owned the vehicle, I have put on 42,000 miles, so I am not basing it on few miles.

Also, when I punched-out the numbers before buying the diesel, I found, over the course of 125,000 miles, with a $0.50 difference in price of fuel, I would spend about $100 less for the diesel, all maint. and fuel costs considered. I have had about 4 months where diesel has only been $0.20 more than regular, so with my high mileage, I am well ahead on my savings.

While MarcoPolo says that diesels are only justified if at least half of your driving is towing, I would qualify that with how much you drive. If, like me, you put on lots of miles each year, the diesel definitely will be beneficial, even if not towing.

I am definitely glad the salesman spent some time telling me about the diesel when I was considering a replacement for my old Cherokee. I had not known Jeep made any, so had never considered them. After having one for 42,000 miles, for me, it was a great decision. If you don't drive as much, then no, it may not be the right engine for you.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote