View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #3
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

Having just spent several months researching trucks, I will make a couple of observations.
1. Diesel will haul and pull lots of weight with relatively good mileage.
2. Diesel is expensive to run. Fuel and urea additives, plus maintenance and oil changes are all more than a gas truck.
3. Diesels are more expensive to buy, especially new. The conclusion I came to (and I was seriously looking at a 3/4 ton Diesel), is that unless you are towing for more than half your driving, the cost difference is not in your favor.
4. The compromise I chose was the Ford Eco-boost. Right at 12,000 lbs towing capacity with lower initial cost and better mileage (except when towing). Since my truck will be used more for other things, this seemed the best way to go.
5. It is very difficult and expensive to get a 5th wheel hitch to work in a short bed pick up. Long bed is much better for 5th wheel hitches. They are cheaper (non-sliding) and no risk of clipping the cab when turning. Also, for my garage, a long bed literally had only 2 inches to spare. Shot bed crew cab is long enough...20 feet.
Those are things that influenced my decision. Hope this helps you. There are lots of good trucks out there and everyone's needs are different. As they say, your mileage may vary
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote