View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Axle lift-kit installation

Today, I went out and bought 2, 13" pieces of 2.5" steel tube, 3/16" wall thickness.

My intention (of course) is to lift the frame 2.5" above the axle. My goal is to be able to install 15" tires on my '98 2720. Plus gain some ground clearance. My problem is, there is less than 1/4" between the back of the right side tire and the frame with my current 14" tires.

My plan is to use 4, 1.5" long mounting bolts per side (instead of 2, 3" long bolts going straight through the tube). I plan to use the original 5/8" mounting bolts to bolt the top of the tubing to the frame mounting bracket, then using 2, new (grade 8) bolts to bolt the lower part of the tubing to the axle. Only, my plan is to mount the axle 1" forward of it's current location by off-setting the lower bolts 1" forward.

I realize that this will shift the fulcrum point of the trailer and lower my tongue weight slightly......in my case....that's a bonus .

Can anyone see any other issues that I may encounter, before I start drilling holes?

BTW....I come up with the bolt holes being 8" apart (on center). Can anyone verify that?