View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Patrice -

You mentioned that
Quote:
... we moved to a travel trailer only to be flipped by a semi on the interstate...
That says a lot about why many of us love our TMs. The small height means that it is almost immune to the turbulence kicked up by passing semi-trailers - or the wind you experience as you cross a long bridge, or come out of a protected canyon and onto the flats - a common experience in the southwest. By contrast, the slab-sided construction of a conventional travel trailer acts like a sail, picking up and reacting to every little breeze.

Most of us tow our TMs without a sway control because our TMs are so stable we don't feel need to have one. And the TM engineers have done a great job of sway elimination by moving the axle back a bit. This increases the hitch weight a bit, but stabilizes the trailer greatly. Many years ago, I towed a slab-side for a year, and even with a friction sway control (admittedly not a very good solution), it scared me to death.

On this board, we've heard the stories of a couple people who lost their TM by driving off the road. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone losing a TM in a wind-induced sway situation such as you experienced.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote