View Single Post
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowonly View Post

I have four inches of clearance over the top of the tire to the wheel well right now. This obviously exceeds the recommended three inches. But, the clearence on the curbside to the rear is only 2.5 inches. The attached photo shows the tire is closer to the rear in the wheel well than the front. The 15'' tire would have a diameter of 28.3 inches vs. 27 inches for the 14''.

Can I get advice on whether this provides enough clearance for the wheel travel ? Seems like it may be cutting it close over a bump. Any help is appreciated for a first time post. Thanks.
bowonly, I don't know why some TMs don't have the tires centered in the wheel well......there have been others before you that have noticed this.

I can see what you are getting at. You have plenty of bump clearance on the top, but not towards the back of the wheel well. By the looks of things, the current setup would probably hit the top about the same time as the back of the fender well, and that might change a little if you go to the 15" tires. The 3" suggested bump clearance is a worse case scenario, but you never know.

If it were me, and I already had the camper loaded for a trip when that picture was taken, I think I would give it a try. Even though the 15" tires are 1.3" in diameter bigger, it will only be a little more than a 1/2" closer to the wheel well.....the radius is 1/2 the diameter.

Now if the camper is empty and not ready for camping, I would load it up with all of the goodies and then see what the clearances look like.

I installed a lift kit and went with 15" tires on my TM with no problem, but the wheels were centered a little better in the fender wells.