View Single Post
Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

WHERE do you plan to tow? That is the often-ignored core of the question.

I tow a 2720SL with a 2002 Ford Explorer with the (rather small) V-8. It is more than adequate on the plains, not bad in Appalachians. But it is barely adequate at the high altitudes and steep grades of the high Sierras and the Rockies. The climb over Loveland and Vail Passes eastbound on I-70 just west of Denver was not a lot of fun - even though I didn't really do Loveland Pass (12,000 ft) but bypassed it through the Eisenhower Tunnel (only 11,000 ft!) If you don't plan to do these areas, then you are fine.

You didn't mention whether your vehicle has the factory installed towing package. If so, it probably has a high-numerical-ratio rear end, probably 3.73, which is good. A lower ratio will make things a bit harder overall. The 5-speed overdrive automatic is also nice - do you have that?

Aside from the engine question, the 02 Explorer is a great vehicle for the TM. Plenty of stopping power, adequate wheelbase to provide good directional control, good storage, reliable, comfortable.

The table that Denny referenced shows that the V-6 version has about 1000 pounds less towing capacity than the V-8. If you get into mountains at all, you will want to be sure to pack as lightly as is practical for you, and probably run with tanks empty. Will there be jsut two of you in the car?

Feel free to PM me for specific info or questions. And you might want to review my response to essentially the same question 18 months ago in
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=1477

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote