View Single Post
Old 05-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
thewayneo

Location: Evergreen, Colorado. Halfway between Heaven and Paradise at 8,100 ft altitude.
Default Replace Thetford w/Sealand 711-M28C?

6/27/2012 THE INFORMATION PERTAINING TO THE FIRST INSTALLATION OF THIS TOILET HAS BEEN UPDATED AND PUT IN A TUTORIAL FORM IN THE TM TECHNICAL LIBRARY - THE FORUM SECTION TITLED "INFORMATION YOU WON'T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE".http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...5575#post95575

Around Post number 36 in this thread, this first installation was completed, and now other members who install this toilet will hopefully add their input.

NOTE: Shrimp Burrito talked about this topic back in 2010!

I couldn't figure out which of the NEARLY 300 threads concerning "Thetford" to attach this to, so I started another! WOW--300! I've read thru at least 290 of them and this still seems like the best permanent replacement!

Now that the winter camping season is over, I have until October to work on my bucket list of “creature comfort” improvements. The toilet continues to be the one huge irritating problem with Trailmanor. It would be so nice to have a toilet usable not only for number 1 but also number 2! Throughout the winter we've used the “shovel method” exclusively for number 2, which just doesn't seem consistent with a $30K RV. So I'm back to researching the Dometic/Sealand 711-M28 C that comes standard in Scamp trailers. The “C” is what gets a bottom discharge instead of side marine discharge. This toilet will luckily just fit CENTERED in the space between the shower tub and the sink cabinet with barely an inch to spare. Note that the Thetford is installed OFF-CENTERED by about 1-1/2 inches towards the shower tub. Venting can go thru the trailer floor and out. The slide valve discharge to evacuate the holding tank is relocated under the floor (outside) unlike the Thetford.

Some of the schematics that Sealand provides are not for the “C” model, so from talking to the factory I find that the tank discharge hole is centered in the bottom of the holding tank, and even though I can order a tank without the hole in the bottom, I CANNOT cut the hole where I want it (off centered), since there's a molded-in indent and friction welding involved. So what this all boils down to is the existing drain pipe needs to be moved about 1-1/2 inches towards the front of the trailer (I can do that), and also 1-1/2 inches in from the side WHERE IT WOULD COLLIDE WITH THE TRAILER FRAME! Talk about bad luck!!!---stymied by 1-1/2 inches!!! Cut away the frame?--no. Maybe raise the whole toilet a couple inches and use some sorta offset drain pipe adapter thing? I hate it when a simple project turns risky, complicated, AND expensive! But I still REALLY want a REAL toilet REALLY BAD!

I hung out at Home Depot a while and lo and behold--I find an offset floor flange! Is 3" home ABS pipe and fittings the same as RV pipe and fittings?

wayneo

2006 2619, with REAL Flush Toilet (Sealand), NEVER ANY HOOKUPS!!!
Five-inch lift, Goodyear Marathon 15" Made in USA!
2005 Ford Explorer V8 -- WDH w/active sway
1973 Moto Guzzi V-twin
thewayneo is offline   Reply With Quote