View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and C View Post
Mtnguy,

I asked the same question. Do I need the air bags or not?

First, I don't want to use a WDH. The one I have weighs more than I want to handle. The part that goes in the reciever feels like 60 pounds or so, maybe more. I am 69 with a tricky back. I don't want to push my back's limit either.

Second, I talked to Matt at Custom RV about it. He recommended the air bags. He said that although the truck can handle the 500# tongue weight out behind the axle, thousands of miles with that extra weight will cause the springs to deteriorate more rapidly. I do not have experience with towing heavy trailers. I've had truck campers before, but have only had tent trailers.

So, since I tend towards "better safe than sorry" in most things, I took his advice.

Tom
I was just wondering about reasoning. I understand about the weight of the WDH......I hate lifting that puppy, although it stays on my truck most of the spring, summer, and fall.

Just beware of the limitations of your OEM hitch. Mine is rated at 500 lb. tongue weight (5000 lb. towing) when used in the weight carrying mode. That goes up to 990/9900 when using a WDH. My TM tongue weight was over 500 lbs. after adding a 2nd battery, so I would have been over the hitch rating without a WDH. The 3023 is listed as about 50 lbs. heavier on the tongue than my 2720.

When I did a weigh in before adding my second battery, to close to 500 lb. tongue weight added 700 lbs. to my rear axle, and took off 200 lbs. from my front axle. Adding airbags will get your headlites out of the trees, but will do nothing to get the weight distributed back to the front axle.