Thread: Door
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 11:37 AM   #15
wesslvm
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor
I got the clips from the factory and installed the one causing the problem. It works fairly well for now? The top door is not aligned very well with the bottom and you can see daylight towards the bottom of the top half - not a good fit. I believe it could be designed much more efficiently. I am still tempted to put another white turn clip towards the hinge side of the door - this would hold them together better.
John

2004 3023 - 2003 Montana AWD
I had my '04 2720SL in for some work and one of the items was the operation of the door. Dana (from MCDcorp.com) and I both believe there is an alignment issue as well as possibly weak clips. Anyway, he spoke with the factory and they are suggesting a modification to the trailer. I don't know if they are acknowleding a design flaw for all the newer units or just recommending a fix for my problem.

Anyway, the suggested fix has to do with the bolting of the support piece for the side wall, just inside of the hinge on the lower door. What I was told is that the two bolts which penetrate the floor of the camper are inadequately supported due to the poly/aluminum structure not being strong enough. Their suggested fix is to intall a new plate under the camper with two holes for the bolts. This will distribute the stress across a wider area so that nothing gives when the door operates.

Hopefully we'll get this fix later this year. I'll let you know how it works out.

Vince