View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I think we are mixing up a number of things here.

The label on the trailer tells you how it was equipped when it left the factory. If you want to change to more capable tires, so much the better. The factory sticker is no barrier to that.

As Padgett has pointed out in another thread, tires labelled Load Range E are only Load Range E if they are inflated to 80 psi. If they are inflated to 65 psi, their load-carrying capacity is still Load Range D. And by the way, LR-D is plenty for a TM.

I run my LR-Ds at 60 psi instead of the max 65 psi. At 65 psi, they are too hard and shake things apart. At 60 psi they still have plenty of load-carrying capacity, but are a bit softer.

The wheels (aka rims) are stamped with a max pressure rating, but in my limited experience, the stamp is on the inside of the wheel - the part you can't see when the tire is mounted. But you need to know this rating before you start putting high-pressure air into them. We have had some forum members who were surprised when their wheels were stamped 50 psi.

Bill
thanks for the replies. I think the confusion came in regards to the as built (stamp) rating vs the on rim tire rating. As you mentioned, other people have been surprised by the rim being the weakest link. does it stand to reason that if "as-built" (trailer stamp) says LRD, the rim is LRD?

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote