View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
clown9644

PLEASE save checking the coax inside the camper to the last job. I suggest you try this approach:

1.Check behind the refrigerator for the coax connector and the 12 volt feeds. You have a tv outlet near there you can use to trace to the splitter. Make sure these are all solid connections, and if nothing else you should be able to check on that one outlet there.

2. You can remove any of the outlets and with the cheap Harbor Freight tester see if the 12 volts is there.

2. No luck so far? Remove the crank handle and the cover plate in the ceiling for the antenna. There is a connection in there that will corrode if the boot outside covering the antenna goes bad, and they do. You can use contact cleaner and/or a very light sandpaper but be gentle, take too much off and no contact but you can buy new connectors at Radio Shack, but it is a job putting them back on. If rusty in there by the way then you need to repair/replace the boot where the coax goes into the roof unit.

3. Still not working? Now is the time to jiggle and wiggle the cable where it goes up the side of the camper very gently and hopefully the tv will flicker and your assistant can tell you when it does. You have a fractured cable inside. You can either cut and put a new set of plugs or solder them together but make sure they are water tight when you put them back together.

4. If you can't find anything else start taking the plastic covers off the chase where the wires go from the entry to the front where the antenna crank is. Have a friend hold all of your guns and sharp knives cause when you are about half done you will want to shoot yourself for taking them off.

I expect you will find your issue in the ceiling at the crank. I repaired 3 of these at the Jubilee on Grand Island while we were there.