View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #20
angler_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
And that's all fine. I certainly agree that everyone should make his/her own choice. And peace of mind is worth a lot, no doubt about it.

I'm not clear on how an Equal-i-zer will help a short wheelbase vehicle, wind or no wind, since it actually does less for sway prevention than a dual-cam unit. Sometimes people confuse the Equal-i-zer with the Hensley Arrow - the breathless tone of the advertising is similar. You can see the Hensley at

http://www.hensleymfg.com/

Now THAT is a hunk of iron! It has a group of cams and linkages that lock the tow-vehicle-to-trailer connection in such a way that the tow vehicle can initiate a turn, but the trailer cannot. From the trailer point of view, the linkage is rigid, and the trailer cannot initiate a turn (which is what happens when sway begins). Assuming this works as advertised, it would eliminate sway. Good idea.

Bill
Bill, Good point. I don't know how or why equil-i-zer will help sway with a short wheel based TV either. I don't know enough about the mechanics etc. of course being a newbie to all this, I don't know much. I only bought based upon research from people who owned them and liked the ease of use and how well they worked. Many palces I read said not to buy types that try to pass themselves off as an equil-i-zer and people who swear by them. Seems to be a big following. Maybe the company was responsible for writing alot of this stuff. On the other hand very few, from what I can remember actually had tried different types of hitches on the same rig, so who knows? It would be interesting to borrow another WDH hitch and try it out some day after I've used the equil-i-zer for a while. It is hard to actually evaluate what to buy. I "consumers report" type of evaluation would be good to find where different types of hitches are tried out. Aslo, many posts here show where people buy anti sway capabilities and then find they don't need them with TMs in a very short time. Maybe I'll be in that category also here in the near future.

Here is some info from another forum on types of antisway recommended and differences:
-----------
"depends on what you have and what you tow with as to what you need there are three basic good set ups.
1. Hensley Arrow. Very expensive but its the Cadillic of TT tow systems.
2. Equilizer hitch WD and sway control all in one sleek package you can get it delivered to your door for $499 from RVdirect.
3. Reese Dual Cam High Performance set up.
I’ve used the friction sway bar a WD bars for 20+ years on my 14’ Shasta and 24’ real lite TT’. Did okay but not great. For my new 31’ keystone I considered the Equal-i-zer hitch system, the new blue ox TruCenter Sway Control and Reese Dual Cam High Performance sway control system. After researching all I ordered the Reese Dual Cam High Performance sway control system paid $334. Why? Well here’s my two cents. The Equal-i-zer hitch system though sounds good and gets accolades from these forums it’s relatively new with an old theme. It my very well work great, but to me it’s just a somewhat improved friction sway bar. Yes it is two bars and yes it works with the WD hitch. But as far as I know it’s still not good for bad weather like other friction sway devices. (friction bars require you to turn them off in wet weather). The Equal-i-zer will still creak and pop. And you need to adjust them."
-----
"been using the equalizer on different trailers for 15 years have had no problems and it really works. I believe they have 4 different sizes. if you are in doubt which one you should buy contact the company at equalizer.com and they will help you.very good people."