View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This is quite a thread. It appears that the Equal-i-zer hitch interferes with the propane tanks. It interferes with the slideout mechanism. It interferes with the swing tongue. You may have to have someone hacksaw the ends off the spring bars ... I don't think you can torch them off, it would weaken the metal.

I don't want to offend anyone, but doesn't this suggest that the Equal-i-zer might not be the best choice for Trail Manors?

The Equal-i-zer appears to have two attractive things.
1. Built in friction sway control - emphasis on "friction".
2. Great advertising hype.
To get these, you have to pay twice as much as you would pay for a brand-name hitch from one of the industry leaders - Reese, Draw-Tite, or several others.

What about that sway control? Most TM owners agree that Trail Manors do not require sway control. If you insist on sway control and you like the friction technique, that's fine. Of course you can get friction sway control for very little money with a Reese bolt-on unit.

If you are really serious about sway control, you can get dual-cam sway control with your Reese or Draw Tite or other hitch, for even less than the Reese friction unit. Dual-cam sway control is superior to friction, and easier to hook up to boot. RockyMtnRay wrote a nice tutorial on various kinds of sway control. It is available in the TM Reference Library, aka TM Info You Won't Find Anywhere Else. It is worth reviewing at

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2923

I'm not knocking the performance of the Equal-i-zer. I'm sure it performs well. But I also like to see us TMers spend our limited time and money on camping goodies that we really need. And I get annoyed when advertising glitz sucks time and money out of us that we don't need to spend.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote