View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 08:39 PM   #7
camperboy

I would limit the TM to the 2720 models. I suspect that the star has a GCVW of at most 8500 lbs. It's gonna be close with the TM, star and cargo/people. I would get the tranny cooler, period. Darned trannys are expensive.

You can see by my signature that I use a Ford Ranger with the 4.0 L V6 to tow a 3023. I have tall (4.10) gears in the rear-end (read rear drive vs. front) and a tow rating of 5660#, GCVW 9500#. While the motor in the Ranger puts out less peak torque, it does so at lower RPMs. More usable. But the bigger issue is brakes. The go is fairly easy all things considered. But the stop is more important. Factor in an emergency braking situation (those folks who just have to get in front of you), steering/avoidance manuver and a slightly unloaded front end. It all equals HOT brakes and wheel lock-up. I feel the Ranger is ONLY acceptable in this area. Also, based on my experiences a front driver like the star would have less than optimal traction due to the front axel being unloaded slightly unless the WDH is adjusted optimally. Remember to include passenger wieght in that weight number. And remember, you will be exceding the tongue weight rating and the frontal area recomendation. Ford specs "base vehicle area". The TM is wider. So think of pushing the parts of the TM that are larger than the van as a peice of plywood like a sail down the road. Just something to be aware of.

OK. So after all of that I think you'll get by with the smaller TM, and a light cargo load, given where you mention traveling. You'll certainly get and see other opinions about this and all of them should be considered.

Be sure to stop at the scales.

Camperboy