View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

DRanger -

The breakaway switch itself was manufactured with two relatively short wires coming out of it. As the TM was being built, each of these wires was joined/crimped to a long wire that goes back to the destination in the TM. My guess is that one of these crimps pulled apart, and your break is at this failed crimp. No guarantee, but that seems logical to me.

If that turns out not to be the case, unplug the TM from shore power, and unplug it from the tow vehicle. In this condition, the breakaway switch is still supposed to work, and I think you are saying it does not. So let's look at the wiring diagram. You can find the TM wiring diagram in the Owner's Manual in your binder. I snipped out the part that is relevant, and copied it below.

Since you have unplugged the TM from the tow vehicle, none of the 7 connections on the plug at left center go anywhere, so you can disregard all of them. And since you have unplugged the TM from shore power, the converter doesn't do anything, and you can ignore it. What is left is electrically very simple.

Power comes from the TM battery at the lower right, and goes up to the converter box through the 30-amp fuse (which you say is good). At the converter box, power is strapped across/left to the wire labelled "12 gauge black". This wire carries power to the BREAKAWAY switch. Because there is a direct line from the battery to the end of this wire at the breakaway switch, the end of this wire should have battery voltage (12 volts) on it. Since you say it does not, this wire - the one indicated by the arrow - must have been disconnected or broken somewhere between the converter and the BREAKAWAY switch.

I do not know how this wire is physically routed, so if the break is not at the crimp, you must physically trace it to find the break. All the test equipment in the world isn't going to help with this.

The easy way to handle the issue is simply to run a new wire from the breakaway switch (you probably have to buy a new one) to the destination indicated in the wiring diagram. It does not have to take the same physical path as the old one - it just has to start and end at the same places.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Break 2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	19434  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote