Thread: snow camping
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2003, 04:18 PM   #1
CC_Turtle

Default snow camping

Hi,

Bob and B&D had a few questions about our experience camping at Mammoth Lakes California...

We camped at the RV park that is located right before you hit town.. off of 203. while we were there we got 4 feet of snow in 4 days! amazing.. the TM held up very well considering that ice and snow covered the trailer!

during the summer this park has full hookups, but during the winter they only have electric hookups.. but they have a heated area with warm showers and bathrooms.

it got very cold.. high of 30's during the day... the furnace worked good for the front end of the TM.. but we had to also use a little extra one to heat up other areas.. and to also save some propane ;D

with the heaters we got lots of consendation with turned into ice on the inside of the trailer's windows - mostly in the back where the bed is located.

none of the pipes froze or our fresh water.. just lots of ice on everything else.. camping was great but leaving was very hard.. we had to defrost all of moving parts before we could lower the TM and get all 3 feet of snow off of our roof.. didn't realize that we would have to shovel 3 feet of snow off before closing! we had to buy a small ladder and a snow shovel.. hard work! after getting the snow off the top... the TM closed fine... we tried to cheat before loweringh the first side.. we didn't get all of the snow off.. and when we pushed it down,, it closed so hard it locked into place

the day we had to leave it was still snowing.. i was worried about pulling the TM in the snow,, but we had to go.. since another storm was on the way! after spending hours digging our selfs out we hooked up the TM. I have a Toyota Tacoma 4x4.. even with the 4x4 we put chains on my truck and just drove slow - 25mph down the mountain.. the truck did great.. we had great traction and no slipping.. after getting down past the snow level i could pry my fingers off the steering well

other things we learned:
1-fold up your steps.. very hard to get the ice and snow off of them
2-cover the hitch area.. so it doesn't get lots of ice on it
3-if it does start to snow... get the snow off the top everyday..don't let it build up!

the next day we opened up the TM and had to dry everything on the inside... considering the storm we were in.. the TM did great..

for our next time... during the very snowing seasons.. we plan on camping at Bishop - which is below the snow levels... in little snows the trailer is fine.. like big bear snow were they get inches at a time..but it was very hard getting all of that snow off of the roof before closing!

if anyone else has some experiences in snow.. would be great to read about them!

Happy New Years!
Teresa