Thread: Tire update
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
davlin
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post

I have 5,000 miles so far on the tires this year and probably had that total last year. After reading wmtire's post and your comment about the number of miles you put on your tiers each year now you have me wondering how often and long the tires must be flexed to effectively bring the protective waxes to the surface.
I don't think anyone can definitively answer that. Tire usage (or lack thereof) becomes just another "variable" in an owner's decision on when to replace tires. Other variables are probably more important: inflation, load exposure, bruising on rocks, potholes, and curbs, etc. etc. I think I can get 6 years safely out of mine (even with low usage), but that could always change based upon banging them up on a curb, finding out I ran one under inflated for a long distance (heat exposure), or just general external inspection of the tire. Others may not be comfortable with six years, and want to replace them at 5 or 4. The cost of two good tires pro-rated over 4, 5 or 6 years versus piece of mind? I call that an individual decision.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote