Thread: Tire update
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
davlin
TrailManor Master

Lesherp,

I hope Wmtire will respond to your question. I also have 15" Load Range E tires on my 3124KS. I'm willing to run them to six years, with the following caveats:

Tire age is measured from the DOT manufacturer's date, NOT the date that you bought them. If they sat in a warehouse for a year before you bought them, that year counts against you. That's why I always insist on "fresh" tires, even though the retailer's policy is usually to sell the oldest first.

Although I don't use a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), I religiously check tire pressures. Running tires under inflated causes heat damage which shortens the tire's life. Unfortunately, you can't see that when you look at the tire.

I store my tires "off the ground" because I don't get to exercise them frequently enough. I'm lucky to put around 1500 miles per year on them. And you are correct, less frequent use is worse than more frequent use.

I don't put any "tire preservatives" on them. Most of these are actually harmful to the rubber.

My tires are stored in shade, but are not covered.

At the end of the day, though, each tire owner will have to find his/her own "comfort" level on how long to go on their tires. And yes, I feel bad when I replace them and the old ones still "look brand new," but I learned my lesson the hard way on running tires that are too old.

Dave
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote