View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Al-n-Sue

Exclamation Mirror report - Tow-n-See vs Eagle Vision (McKesh knockoffs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
II'll be using these new mirrors this weekend so I can report back next week on how they work.
I've used the Tow-n-See on two trips and the Eagle Vision on one - all three trips about 2 1/2 hours or less away. Here's my opinions:

The Tow-n-See are really easy to put on and take off. I found that if I cleaned the TV mirror before I put them on, they stayed on with no problem. I did find that when I put them on after having the vehicle sitting overnight outside, I could not get them to stick - mirrors were too cool and condensation kept forming on them. I found that the mirrors vibrated a little too much for my liking. And since the mirrors are small - about 4"x5" - the vibrating made it a little harder to see clearly at a glance. I like the adjustability - just adjust your electric mirrors and they go with them - but at the same time, it made my regular mirrors pretty much unusable. Plus, the mirrors are not quite long enough to accommodate the 200' rule. (i.e. being able to see a vehicle that is 200 feet behind you)
Conclusion: I will keep these mirrors because they are great for making a quick run to the storage lot to pick up or deliver the trailer, or take it to the dealer for work. But I won't use them on a trip of any length.

The Eagle Vision mirrors work well, even though they tend to vibrate a little. But the mirrors are about 7 or 8 inches square so having a big viewing area allows you to see pretty well what is around you at a glance. Mounting the mirrors turns out to be pretty easy once you have them adjusted to fit your TV. I was disappointed in the quality of some of the adjustment knobs though. They are obviously intended to be hand tightened, but are small and in awkward places so I ended up using pliers. I'd be interestd in seeing some McKesh mirrors to see if they are better quality (should be at $125 a pair vs the $67 I paid at CW). The biggest problem with this type mirror is adjusting them. DW doesn't have enough strength in her hands to untighten the wing nut, adjust the passenger side mirror, and tighten it back up. If I have her sit in the driver's seat and I adjust, it is a little off since she is shorter. I mounted them myself last night in preparation for our trip today, and made probably 10 trips back and forth to get it close. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this, they would be greatly appreciated! On the questoin of mis-shaping the window seal, my seal would not allow a spacer of any kind, so I just clamped it on. I kept the mirrors mounted the whole Memorial Day weekend, and when I took them off, the seals bounced back almost all the way. The next day they were fine.
Conclusion: I'll keep these and use them for all my regular camping trips. They'll be particularly helpful if I can ever afford to take a longer trip!

Best choice? If I could have adjustable towing mirrors from the factory, that is what I would get! Best of all worlds - except maybe price.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is debating about what mirrors to buy. BTW, friends we camp with both lost a slide on mirror on the last trip.

sorry for the long post but I'm an analyst so I analyze!
Cheers
Alan