View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

When I noticed the frame was made from wood, I immediately started thinking of different ways to build the frame.

3/4 PVC would be light, but perhaps too flexible. Perhaps filling PCV pipe with foam might suitably reduce the flex. I imagine you'd have to drill a number of holes and go through a few cans of low expanding foam for windows. However, if the frame is secured to the roof rack, this might provide enough support that additional structural support to reduce flex may be unnecessary. The PVC would be a nice conduit for wiring too. It would be easy to fabricate using T's and elbows.

An aluminum frame might work too. 1" square tubing similar to what's used on the TM might work fine. Unless you can weld aluminum, you might be faced with constantly re-securing the joints as they may come loose from vibrations. Also, metal so close to conducting electricity can be a recipe for shorts.

I'm sure there are lots of other concerns I haven't yet thought of. But hey, the got a man on the moon with a slide rule, I'm sure an lightweight solution can be found.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote