View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
cochise

When I first got our Elkont 24, I took it to the scales. It has a GVWR of 4230 lb, and on the scale it weighed in at 3640 without any of our stuff in it. The tongue weight was measured to be 640 lb. Texas RV that sold us the Elkmont were smart enough to “recommend” a WDH, and that was first mounted on the Hyundai Santa Fe which had a tow limit of 3500 lb and tongue weight of 350 lb, but they knew that but chose not to say anything about it to us. We did not know the truth about the Elkmont at that time. After the trip to the scales we got the Silverado 6 cyl with the tow package and the tow/haul. We used it with the WDH and it worked great, but than we did not bring a lot of stuff that others do. I did have a 70 lb generator on the truck, but right behind the cab and other than that only a tool box, a grill and some pieces of wood for the stabilizers.

But yes it is very deceiving when the weight is said to be less than 2500 lb (2498 in the very color full brochures and an aprx. Weight on the tongue of 320 lb). But we all know that numbers are SO easy to manipulate.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote