View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mendoza View Post
This is discouraging! I was counting on the lighter tongue weight. So if I understand correctly, I would have but two choices. Buy a full size truck or use a weight distributing hitch??
With something like the Tacoma (1100# payload) I definitely needed a weight distribution hitch. Any time you put 620# behind the rear axle of a vehicle you're going to be taking weight off of the front axle. It may not be so significant with the heavier F150 (2000# payload), but I'm still using a WDH.

Even if you could get your tongue weight down to 350#, a WDH would probably be a good idea with the Tacoma. It's really only the real BIG heavy duty trucks that can get away with not having one IMHO.

And maybe you can manage your trailer weight, tongue weight and TV payload better than we can. We carry lots of stuff!

And also we travel a lot, so I don't want to go over any of the weight specs. If I was just going a few hundred miles a few weekends a year, I would be less concerned.

It really is a function of the Elkmont 24's design. That axle is pushed way back putting lots of the weight on the tongue. I doubt that the dual axle Elkmont 26 or the shorter Elkmont 22 have the same high % of GVW on the tongue.