View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mendoza View Post
The Trailmanor brochure states that the Elkmont 24 has a base hitch weight of 297lbs. How do you get to 620# - what am i missing?

Elkmont 24 - Approximate Base Dry Weight 2498 lbs.
Base Hitch Weight 297 lbs.
Approx. Dry Weight w/Value Package 3000 lbs.
Base weights are with zero options and no other loads.
The approx dry weight with value package of 3000# is closer to reality.
Our typical loaded weight is closer to 3800#. So we must have added about 800# of stuff to the trailer.

Anyway, let's say the tongue weight with value package is more like 350#.

Our hitch weight includes two full 40# propane tanks right up on the tongue. So that's 430# total.
(EDIT: Or is that a total of 40# propane, I forget. Adjust accordingly)

Also there's lot's of storage space under the bed and in the front closets that goes equally to the tongue as to the trailer axle. I would say we put 300# in there easily, so half of that is another 150# on the tongue or 580# total on the tongue.

And then there's the remaining 400# of food, tools, books, computers and stuff that gets distributed further back in the trailer, of which 40# must end up on the tongue, making 620# total on the tongue.

All this is pretty rough, but it's not hard to do. Of the 800# we've added to the trailer, roughly 280# has ended up on the tongue.

And by the way, 3800# - 620# is 3180#, well below the Trailer's GAWR, so we've never had problems there. Just problems with the Tacoma's weight ratings.