View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wow! I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal, Liz.

From your description, you have several symptoms that seem only vaguely related. I certainly can't see a common cause. I hope your mechanic can find it and fix it quickly.

1. Brake pedal goes to the floor. This means that the hydraulic system in the tow vehicle has failed somehow. The brake controller for the TM doesn't connect to the hydraulic system, so as Leon says, this is a tow vehicle problem.

2. Can't get it out of park. On most modern vehicles, you have to step on the brake pedal before you can move the transmission lever out of park. But since the brake pedal was doing strange things, this linkage might have been fouled up. So given the first problem, this one kinda makes sense. Again, a tow vehicle problem.

3. Charging system failure or inadequate connection to the battery. This could be a failure in the tow vehicle's alternator or battery (or a loose battery connection), resulting in a very low voltage on the tow vehicle's 12-volt system. This would be enbtirely independent of the TM - but I don't see how it relates to the brake problems. Or it might be a problem with the brake controller's installation. What controller do you have? Who put it in for you? The symptom of "no brake lights" could result from either problem. The brake controller wires may indeed have been misconnected, but if this were the case, it should have shown up right away, not on your second trip out. Loose connections, of course, would be another story.

Bottom line, there isn't much in the TM that could cause this collection of symptoms. Please let us know what the mechanic finds. This might be valuable information for other owners.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote