View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
Hello.
We are considering buying a 2619 with the two full size beds. We would prefer to have a queen bed. Has anyone tried to modify one of the beds to make it bigger? Thank you!
I doubt very much that this can be done. Each mattress lies in a shallow box, and the box slides out as you open the trailer, and in as you close it. The width of the box (side-to-side of the trailer) is the same as the overall width of the trailer, and so it cannot be increased.

WRT the rear bed, when the trailer is open, the length of the box (front-to-back) extends from the rear wall of the shell to the wall of the bathroom. When the trailer is closed, the wall of the bathroom is folded down out of the way, and the bed box slides over it, all the way up to the kitchen sink. There is no extra length available, so you can't make the box longer. Same kind of constraint for the front bed.

In a TM, all parts are built to fit together, and there is no unused space to take advantage of. A 2619 becomes a 2720 by extending the big central box rearward by a foot, which leaves room for a wider bed. But extending the central box also requires that the rear shell be a foot longer to cover the bigger box. As a home project, this cannot be done.

If someone has some other thoughts, I would love to hear them. One possibility, I suppose, would be to add a removable 1-foot outrigger on the rear edge of the front bed. When closed, the outrigger rides in the bed box. When you open the trailer, you pull the outrigger toward the rear, so it extends out over the dinette. This, of course, makes the forward 12 inches of the dinette area (already small) unusable. Then you put a bigger mattress over the front bed box and the outrigger. I don't know where you would stow the bigger mattress when you close down and travel. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote