Thread: Door Jam Issues
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #8
Stephene1219

I am lucky in that I have a 12X12x30 3 sided structure to park the TM . The structure is on a slab that is very level.

In looking at the Jam before making changes I found a couple of problems related to the quality of the TM manufacturing process.

Problem 1 - The jam was not plumb. In fact is was out of plumb by 3/16". This is very significant in such a short run. It was out of Plumb bottom to top. The top was 3/16" further away from the outside than the bottom.

Problem two - Was related to the Brush they install at the bottom of the Jam. These brushes come in "X" length which TM then cuts to fit. Just like a weather strip for your home the brush strips have a flange at the top to hold the spine where the all the brushes connect. This flange is 3/16" thick. TM notched out the flat portion of the strip so the brush would lay flat and install at the bottom of the Jam hinge. However, they made two errors. The first was the flat portion of the brush strip actually laid about a 1/16" on the hinge. The second and major problem was they left about 2' of the 3/16' flange above where they notched out for the brush. So when the hinge closed it was pressing against this 3/16" inch flange at the bottom of the hinge. Of course the hinge was unable to fully close at the bottom. This is what caused the bottom of the the Jam to stick out and make it very hard to close the door.

I removed the Jam hinge and lowered it 1/4" and moved it forward 1/8". I then cut the bush strip to remove the flange so it could be installed just below the hinge without interfering with the hinge action. When I reinstalled I made sure the hinge was perfectly plumb. The end result is that the door latches, the dead bolt engages and the door now does not hit at the bottom of the Jam. As an added bonus. the hinge side "Pin" now slides into the spring clip really easy.

All of this was caused by a lack of quality control. This TM should never have left the factory with the door problems. I loved the TM in over 100 days of camping this Spring, Summer and Fall. Yet now I worry about what other corners were cut or whether there is really a QA process in place

Steph
Stephene1219 is offline   Reply With Quote