View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
PopBeavers

On RV.net about 4 years ago someone posted a story that they had experienced regarding accidents and trailer weights.

Driver towing a travel trailer (not a TM) loses control in a turn. Nasty things happen to the trailer. Someone is killed in the accident.

Author of the story I read asked the troopers why they were so careful about picking up every piece.

Trooper explains that if it was overweight (without defining what overweight is) then the driver would be charged with felony manslaughter.

Author of the story claimed he was driving his vehicle behind the trailer. Towing the trailer were his parents and his son.

Grandma was killed.

This may be a yarn or an urban legend being repeated.

I, for one, would be very interested in knowing how real this could be. As I recall it was in Ohio.

If true, I do not think this fits within DMV code.

My older brother is at some risk. I am certain that the weight of his truck and 5th wheel trailer exceeds the magic number (12,500 I think) that requires him to have the California endorsement on his license to tow a trailer between 12,500 and 15,000. He does not have that endorsement.

I do not have that endorsement. Fortunately, as heavy as I load up my TM, 4,100 pounds is way less than 12,500.