View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAKlebe View Post
I also happened to come across this controller:
http://www.brake-controller.com/brak..._features.html which is not that much more than the Tekonsha, but appears to be better. But perhaps it is overkill?
I don't see anything wrong with this controller, though I don't see anything special, either. The ad is full of pretty meaningless hype, but in no particular order, I seem to see:

It is proportional, which probably means it is accelerometer-based. So is the Prodigy.

It can detect hydraulic brake systems. But TMs don't have a hydraulic brake system, so why pay for this feature?

It comes with a mounting kit. So does every other controller on the market.

It can provide up to 48 amps to the brakes. But the brakes will accept only 3 amps each, so the brakes on a 3023 can accept only 6 amps. For what it is worth, the Prodigy can provide up to 24 amps, which is also more than is needed.

PWM (pulse width modulated) braking. All controllers - or at least all decent ones - use PWM. The last time I saw a non-PWM-controller was in the 60's.

Deceleration sensor - yup, that's the accelerometer that gives it proportional braking. Just like any other proportional controller.

Automatic short circuit protection. They all have it.

Works in reverse. A lot of controllers, including the Prodgy, boast about this. And perhaps some have it and some don't - but I'm not sure why anyone would need it. If you are backing up at more than 2 mph, you are headed for other troubles. And your truck's brakes can certainly handle the trailer at 2 mph.

Manual emergency button. They all have one.

No need to tap into the tow vehicle's hydraulic brake line. Years ago, again in the 60's, many controllers did tap into the hydraulic brake line. But within the world of RVs and camping trailers, no controller has done this for decades, for two reasons. First, modern cars/trucks are extremely fussy about what is done to their brake lines, so tapping in would probably cause the tow vehicle brakes to fail, and would certainly void any warranty. In addition, a controller doesn't know how to handle the pulsing caused by ABS systems.

Automatic gain adjustment - this is the one feature that I find somewhat intriguing, but since they don't don't actually tell you what it is, it's pretty hard to tell if it is worth any extra cost.

But at the bottom line, the real advantage of the Prodigy is that it is probably the most-used proportional controller, owned by millions of people. And most of those people, like you, are new to electric-brake controllers, and so this speaks well to its ease of installation and use. It also means you can get help, advice, and replacement parts anywhere.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote