View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
sandy eggo

Default Tongue Weights of TMs?

Yeah, I'm sure I'd get thrashed...but it would be fun trying.

I've had practically zero luck finding much of anything useful out on the vast Internet regarding real-world towing capabilities of the X5 4.4i. I did find this knowledge nugget on rv.net (thanks for the pointer).

One big CAUTION if you want to tow with a BMW SUV. Unless they have changed their specs, you can tow 6000#'s with their BIG SUV, but the hitch weight can no exceed 600#'s. Thus if you have a trailer that needs a 15% tongue weight, you are really limited to a 4000# maximum trailer weight! I verified this with BMW. They say if you exceed that there is no warranty on related failures.

So, let's assume my hitch is rated for 600 lbs on the tongue. My new/next question is if the tongue weight (as specified on the TM website) of the 3124KB is 448, I should be fine; however, is that the tongue weight of a "dry" TM. What would the tongue weight need to be of a fully loaded 3124KB? And what are the safe tolerances for tongue weights - i.e., if the tongue weight is 600 lbs and the hitch is rated at 600 lbs, I'm assuming that this is not a safe scenario.

Thanks again for the help.

Rick