View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #5
sandy eggo

Thanks again Ray - a real education.

I was able to find a couple data points that indicate that the X5 was built new from the ground up and not simply reusing the 5 series frame, etc. That said, it was optimized to have car-like handling and not haul a ton of gravel.

Agreed that there is no "replacement for displacement" and in this game it is torque that matters. The Elves that conjured up the X5 seem to have agreed as well - and graced the X5 with the same 4.4 liter V-8 that powers the last generation 7 series with plenty of low end torque (thanks for that info). Not exactly a miserly, pip-squeak of an engine normally associated with the Europeans! Also, the X5 is built like a tank and weighs in at something like 5,000 lbs - so not sure what constitutes "a lot", but it seems like the Elves didn't scrimp on steel either. Point well taken though and I will definitely check in with my friends on the BMW forums to see what their advice is.

I understand your point about torque being the main factor in chugging up the mountain but doesn't the engines ability to breathe at the higher altitudes have any impact on how efficiently that power & torque is produced? My (non-engineering) brain says it certainly should have an impact. The effect of VANOS like technologies is that it allows the engine to breathe as it normally would at sea level even at mountain altitudes. Sort of like "altitude training" for cars?

Anyway, maybe I should just get a TM and come out to CO for a good old fashioned tractor pull.