View Single Post
Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re Bavarian Elves and Chugging

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy eggo
Ray -

I really appreciate the work you put into the reply - exactly what I was looking for. Well, actually, I was looking for a definitive "yes or no" but in reality your answer probably serves me better.
Welcome...did the best I could. Not many people are using European vehicles to tow trailers.
Quote:
I'd like to think that although it is marketed as a "Sports Activity Vehicle", if the engineers and manufacturer gave it a factory trailer hitch option and a 6,000 towing capacity that they actually mean it (and beefed up the frame and transmission to support that application). That said, I'm scratching my head to recall if the X5 was built new from the ground up or if it simply uses the 5 series frame...I know it won't take me long to get to the bottom of that one.

True, BMW is known for their sports sedans but they're also known for extremely high engineering standards and quality workmanship. I would be dismayed/surprised to find out that in reality the X5 should not tow more than a couple jet-skis.
Welll, you never know with those Bavarian (or Black Forest) "Elves"...they definitely make some jewel like engines but, being Europeans where fuel is extremely expensive, there's also a big emphasis on using lots of fancy technology but not lots of engine displacement or any more steel (heavy stuff) than needed for the intended purpose (which was very unlikely to be serious towing). The Japanese "Ninjas" that designed/built my Toyota Tundra have many of the same traits...and my truck certainly doesn't have same spare frame/suspension/axle strength that a typical domestic half ton truck has. So do be sure to investigate this very thoroughly as regular towing of a semi-heavy, semi-long trailer puts stresses on a vehicle that are just not encountered in normal "activity" usage.

BTW, when I lived in Germany back in the '80s I made a trip to the Bayerische Motoren Werke in Munich...the company has a really cool museum there.
Quote:
BTW, my X5 is alpine white and the thought of it pulling a shiny white TM behind it...well, that would be a pretty cool picture. Imagine the looks as I chug like a freight train past the other cars going up the mountain gasping for air (gotta love BMW's VANOS**!). Ok, maybe I'm spending too much time with my 3 year old's train set.

Rick

** VANOS, in case you're wondering, is BMW speak for their steplessly variable valve timing. Breathe baby, breathe!
Yes....my Tundra is "Natural" (i.e. Arctic) white and that is a good combo with the newer very white TMs.

Your mention of the chugging and train set gave me visions of you repeating the mantra of The Little Engine That Could: "I think I can, I think I can...."

Variable valve timing is not, believe it not, all that big a deal for towing. Toyota added variable valve timing to the 4.7L Tundra engine for '05 and I'm not all that impressed....certainly not impressed enough to want to trade my '03 in for a new one. The goal in towing is to have maximized torque in the low to mid RPMs...this is what will get a rig moving from a standstill and what will keep you going up grades without having to downshift to get the high RPMs. And you certainly don't need variable valve timing to optimize low end torque...but you do need real long intake runners, very little valve overlap, and an exhaust system (including headers) that's tuned for minimum backpressure at low RPM. Among other things that means a single outlet exhaust (although great for high RPM, duals are generally bad for low end torque).

Variable valve timing allows smallish engines to have decent (but not great) low to mid range torque, yet avoid the normal drop off of torque as the engine speed rises above about 3500 to 4000 RPM. Since Horsepower is basically RPM times torque, that results in some pretty impressive HP numbers out of smallish (under 5.0L) engines...which is exactly what BMW (and Toyota) have achieved. However, in my not-so-humble opinion ( ), if you don't have enough low/mid range torque to pull most grades with the transmission in the gear that provides a 1:1 in/out ratio (usually 4th on 5 speed automatic with OD)...and you have to depend on regularly using high revs, then your vehicle needs some serious towing-oriented modifications or you don't have the right vehicle. That was exactly the situation I was in about a year ago...and after doing those mods (headers, muffler that's tuned for low/mid RPM, and change to 4.30 axle gearing), I now have a vehicle that can pull most steep and high altitude (up to 12,000 feet elevation) grades without any downshifts...with trailer in tow.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote