View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
sandy eggo

Default Anybody towing a TM with BMW X5 4.4i ?

Hi All -

We're seriously thinking about buying a TM 3023 or 3124KB but are finding it difficult to verify what our BMW X5 4.4i will tow (and tongue weight, etc).

A few details on the BMW:
2001 model year
4.4 liter V-8
282 HP, a bit more than that in "grunt" (ft. lb.) if memory serves
Factory tow-hitch
Automatic with sport/manu-matic mode (can keep transmission in a gear within safe RPM limits)

The owner's manual says nothing about towing limits or tongue weight. All I can find on the Internet is that it is supposedly rated to 6,000 lbs.

When I check the TM website, it confirms the 6,000 lb weight limit - which implies I'd be ok towing virtually any TM product. However, I'm a bit nervous that given the combination of wheelbase, gear ratios, etc, etc, that I may be in for a nasty surprise with the combintion of my X5 and a 3023 or 3124KB.

Anybody using a X5 4.4i out there in TM land - if so, what model are you towing and how's it going?

Even if you're not using a X5 as a towing rig but can "speak" with some authority on whether or not I could tow the 3023 or 3124KB, please let me know.

Oh yeah, we live in Southern CA and would plan on taking the TM pretty much anywhere in the in the West (sea level to Rocky Mountains).

Thanks!