View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Seems about right to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin View Post
I am interested in buying a used TrailManor 2619. After looking at the manufacturers specifications it appeared to be a good match for my 2002 Silverado K1500. I weighed my truck and found out that I had a little of 1100 pounds of weight carrying capacity. The dealer checked the tongue weight on the TrailManor and it weighed 700 pounds. I was surprised because the TrailManor brochure stated 351 pounds. However when you consider the weight of water, two batteries, and two propane tanks all in front of the axle it does seem to calculate out. This weight would put me a couple of hundred pounds over my GVWR, and I still have not taken into account the weight of the camping supplies that would be in the trailer. Has anyone checked their actual tongue weight? Does this tongue weight seem right? I would appreciate hearing from current owners.
I've had my 2720SL weighed twice at an RVSEF (RV Safety Education Foundation) weigh in. The RVSEF weighings don't include a specific tongue weight check but they do weigh the TV with and without the trailer hooked up. So although I don't have a definite tongue weight, there was enough data that I was able to derive an approximate calculated tongue weight of 650 lbs for my 2720SL.

Given the differences in trailer layout (my 2720SL has 2 heavy batteries behind the rear axle (lightening the tongue weight compared to a 2619), has the water tank directly over its axle (again lightening the the tongue), but also a front slide that is likely 70 to 100 lbs heavier than the 2619's front bed), I'd say that your 700 lb tongue weight is probably within 50 lbs of being a true weight.

As with all manufacturers, a TM's spec tongue weight is for a truely empty, no options, no cargo trailer...that means empty propane, empty water tanks, no awning, no AC (or any other factory option), no personal gear, and even no batteries (because batteries are a dealer installed item). As you accurately note, once those items are added, the tongue weight can easily zoom from 350 to 700 lbs. Just the 2 batteries are adding around 120 lbs to the tongue weight. 20 gallons of water...largely being carried on the tongue ...is another 168 lbs or so.

And finally, TM (like most RV makers) doesn't do a full reweigh of the trailer after each year's engineering changes. A change in materials or design (like slightly bigger or more windows) since the the last official weighing can alone add 40 or 50 lbs.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote