View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
grakin

I've used 4 different brake controllers on my TM:

1. A cheap time-based controller.
2. Hensley's controller
3. Chevy's integrated brake controller
4. Ford's integrated brake controller

The only one I wouldn't use again is the time-based controller. IMHO you are taking your life into your hands with a time-based controller. It's not worth it, and I think these unsafe devices should be banned from sale.

I noticed a bit of difference between Hensley's controller and the Ford/Chevy integrated controller - but very little, and certainly not enough to be unsafe. Based on the small difference in ride quality between the 3 decent controllers I've used, I have a hard time seeing how the Hensley controller could possibly be either safer or significantly better for the ride than the Prodigy - just based on how the devices all work. I really don't think Hensley has justifications for the extra cost compared to the Prodigy - but I haven't towed with the Prodigy, so I could be full of it. But if I had it to do over again, I would have tried the Prodigy first.

(for reference, having towed with Hensley, Chevy, and Ford, I'd pick the Chevy controller first, the Ford one second, and the Hensley one third - but all worked well)