View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMfor4ofus View Post
Anyone figured out a good way to do this? I searched for awhile and didn't see anything?
Quick answer - I still don't know. I did a long and laborious search for a rack that would fit in the stake pockets in the bed of our F-150. Never did find one that would work. There are lot of nice racks, but on every one of them, the vertical piece bends inward, toward the center of the bed, about a foot above the side of the bed. This meant that our tri-fold tonneau cover couldn't be opened with the rack in place. It looks like you have a single-part hard tonneau cover, so you would experience the same thing.

There seem to be two solutions. Either get rid of the hard tonneau cover, and buy a soft one. Or buy a rack that bolts through the top of the sides of the bed, rather than using the stake pockets. We weren't willing to drill holes in the sides, so that was out.

As you have read, carrying the boats on top of the TM is not an ideal solution because you have to remove the boats before you can raise the TM shells.

Out west somewhere, I saw a possible answer. As I recall, it consisted of a conventional cargo bar across the roof of the cab, and a load extender (Thule, Yak, and others make them) that can be made part of a hitch extender. You might end up needing to do a little welding.

Bill
Attached Images

Bill is offline   Reply With Quote