View Single Post
Old 12-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I don't think the weight of TM's have changed much since they started making them so I don't think the older TM's are any lighter, they just didn't have or include options or batteries and propane in the dry weight.
JD and Mary (and others) -

I think Frenchy has summed it up pretty well. Older trailers weren't significantly lighter, they just were't as well equipped.
And although Chap touched on it, you have to remember that the actual towed weight of the trailer includes not only the dry weight plus options, but also includes all the "stuff" you load into the trailer. Food, clothes, dishes, tools, bedding, a TV, your rock collection - anything that goes through the door increases the weight. And four people will bring a surprising amount of "stuff".

In addition, you have to remember that a tow vehicle rated to tow 3500 pounds won't actually tow anywhere near 3500 pounds. Take a look at your vehicle owner's handbook, or the manufacturer's web site. There is always a carefully-worded caveat saying that in order to determine what it can actually tow, you have to start with the stated towing weight, then subtract the weight of all the options on the vehicle (both factory and aftermarket), all the passengers except the driver, and all the cargo that you put in the vehicle. This total can easily reach 1000 pounds, leaving you with - nothing useful. And yet it is, at best, almost certainly a flatlands tow rating.

Yes, people do tow 3500 or 4000-pound trailers with a 3500-pound-rated vehicle, and you can find their stories on this board. Is it safe? Is the tow vehicle (and its warranty) happy? Can you tow reasonably in any kind of mountainous terrain? My guess is "Not really" on each count. But of course, YMMV.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote