View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRay View Post
Welcome Denny. If all the OEM parts are there, it shouldn't be a big job to replace the K&N. I'd recommend a MAF sensor cleaning while the dealer is replacing the parts. After the ECU adjusts to the change, you'll find you have noticeably more mid range (~3000 RPM) torque though perhaps a tiny bit less at the top end (~5000 RPM) and the truck will be a heckuva lot quieter and more civil.
Thanks a bunch for your help Ray. My 'yota dealer did the reverse operation and the patient has recovered! The MAF unit was cleaned and tested. Good to go. All the OEM parts were there. Labor and new filter just busted the $100 threshold.

Re., the roar. Since the Tundra was new to me, I assumed that roaring sound was normal. Now I know what normal sounds like; a great improvement for sure. Also, when the K&N was in use, and I did a hard acceleration, the truck would lurch forward (large increase of accel) at around 45-50 mph, w/o a change of pedal input. More like an afterburner. Now the time-rate-of-change of velocity is predictable, and a welcome change!

Quote:
And if you want to get some really serious towing torque out of your truck's drivetrain, just do the same mods I did to mine. The JBA headers (7% mid range torque gain), Gibson muffler (3% mid range torque gain), and regeared axles (10% across the board rear wheel torque gain) have collectively given me a solid 20% increase in rear wheel torque over stock. ........snip......
Since I will be more a flat land camper, I think I'll wait to see how the truck works out with my next (still waiting to purchase) trailer. I do not plan to tow a trailer in excess of 5500 lbs.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Denny