View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
utahsue

Default I think you can do it

I'm very sorry to hear about your injury - it sounds painful. From your post, I am assuming that you have a permanent loss of strength in your arm, but can still use it a little, such as for holding a latch in place with your fingertips while your other hand does the hard work.

If this is the case, the only tasks that I can think of that would be almost impossible are attaching the hanging cabinet above the sink and changing the horizontal propane tanks that are found on the SL and SD models. Vertical propane tanks would probably be OK for you, but someone with one of those models could answer that one. The horizontal ones have to be lowered in at an angle to get a tab into a slot, and it requires a bit of wrestling.

Setting up the dinette table in the SD models would be tricky - it depends on how much use you have in your weak arm. Changing a flat tire would also be very difficult, so I suggest joining an emergency roaside service. Lowering the scissor jacks with one hand doesn't seem possible, but you could adapt a cordless drill for this, as many of us have done because we don't like cranking.

I think you are right about the torsion bars, especially given that you are strong. I couldn't do it with one arm very easily, but I could get it done if I had to, and my bars are not adjusted properly (they are stiff). Setting up the bathroom wouldn't be bad if you have the use of your weak arm just to help with the latches. As for the wardrobe, I think you could lift it up, then get your shoulder involved in holding it while you reposition your strong arm, then lift some more, etc. The wardrobe is a lot easier than it looks, even when loaded.

I have known a few people with only one arm, and they had developed amazing and creative ways of doing almost anything. Things will get easier for you as you go along if you are determined, which it sounds like you are. Good luck!