Thread: Dealer support?
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Grouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
But (and it's a big BUT), it is hard to expect a non-TM dealer to repair something that is very TM-specific, such as the lift system. The TM design is quite innovative compared to the cookie-cutter design of other travel trailers. It should be no surprise that experience, knowledge, factory training, and access to the factory's staff, are important. I think (and it is worth confirming) that for these items, the TM warranty requires work be done by an authorized TM dealer.Bill
Actually Bill, that is part of my point. With the nearest "good" TM dealer 4-6 hours away, that isn't convenient, means warranty repairs take careful planning and extra expense, and generally detracts from the value of a TM. Frankly, I fault the factory for not providing an incentive plan that would encourage more dealers to handle their brand. After all, this is a niche market (not every one wants to spend the same as buying a 3 room slide out conventional trailer and get something that requires physical set up and limited space ... even though it is well built and easy to tow). Plus I still contend that it is hard to build relationships with a dealer that is separated from you both by considerable time and distance. After all, once the sale is made you no longer provide much benefit to a distant dealer.

Coulter & Sinjin,

Thanks for the kudos for Danny's. I can understand why after talking to him on the phone. I'm looking forward to my visit, now hopefully in August. Life intervened and did not make it earlier this year as anticipated.

PopBeavers,

I'm not sure I'm as optimistic as you. Unfortunately there seems to be a "party" line regarding quality on the board, but privately I have received several contacts telling me that the TM does indeed have reliability issues. Maybe it has improved in recent years, but that is not what I've heard off board. I can only hope you're right.

Sooo, I'm still back at the future as it were. Still hoping for a good "local" dealer who handles TM. Guess I could consider anyone within 100 miles to be local (PopBeavers, I'll concede the 120 miles you have as being local) but alas none are to be found.