Thread: Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Art -

That is the same issue I had in my post #11 above. Where on the roof would you put the kayaks?

The answer depends on the length of the boats, of course. Some white-water kayaks are less than 6 feet long, so finding a place on the TM roof would be no problem. They could even go sideways! On the other hand, some still-water cruising kayaks are quite long - and some tandem kayaks even longer.

My wife and I each have an Old Town Loon 138 cruising kayak. As the name suggests, they are 13 feet 8 inches long - a lot of boat, and perfect for the extended-length lake trips we take. As I look at the roof of the TM, there is only about 8 feet between the front edge of our 2720SL, and the air conditioner. Although I could allow some of the boat to overhang the front of the trailer - Maybe 2 feet? - where would I put the rest of the boat? In addition, once on the roof, the boats would have to clear the TV antenna, and the vents.

In my case, carrying the kayaks on the roof of the TM can't happen, even if the roof had unlimited strength.

So to go back to your original question, Dave, how long are your boats? At 8 or 10 feet, you might pull it off. If your TM is a 3124, you'll get a bit more working length. But even then, more than 10 probably won't work well.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote