Thread: Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
1) A tandem axle 3326 King could work if the other couple is under 6' (front bed might be able to be extended). I suspect it would need to be specially built since not in the current catalog see here.. Interior space woud be similar to a 34' airstream
2) I use a plain cordless 1/2" drill for my levelers and the awning.
3) Rack for kayaks would be possible on the front module but should be removed before raising. May also require retuning of the torsion bars. (No big)
4) Major options are combination microwave instead of oven, roof A/C (haven't seen one without) though the electric heater is an option, swing hitch, and various hanging cabinets. On a new one there are also some paint and trim options.
4) I always find a nice used one of almost anything to begin with and find out what I really want.
5) Several have exchanged the recirculating toilet for a cassette model that uses the same dump lines. It is said that with proper additives, odor is not an issue.

Major advantage to the folding TM is the dramatically reduced frontal area when towing at Interstate speeds. There is little increased aerodynamic drag and most loading is the result of the additional mass.
I beg to differ with some of these suggestions, having owned both a 3124KB and a 3326.

No TM will have the interior space of an equivalent Airstream. They just aren't built the same way. Also, the front bed, which opens from the sofa, is barely larger than a twin. Your friends had best be very friendly to share that space.

Kayak racks would have to be carefully placed, since there are no steel frames in the roof like one would find with conventional trailers. The load, though perhaps not excessive, would have to be distributed over a large area to prevent buckling of the shell.

I would never suggest a swing hitch for larger TMs. The swing assembly is not robust enough for the heavier tongue weights.

I have never used a cassette toilet, but I didn't think they use the black water piping in the trailer. The cassette has to be removed, typically through an outside door on the side, to dump the waste. I took out the recirc toilet and installed a Porta Potti. We never found the right chemicals to stop the smell. If I am incorrect on the cassette design, someone will let us both know.

I agree that a good 18 volt drill is an easy way to manipulate the corner jacks on any TM. I have always installed bubble levels on my trailers once I knew they were level front to back and side to side, using the trailer floor inside. After that, leveling is easy.

Good luck with your search.