View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I was wondering how to tell where the up stop on the axle is. I imagine there is a fixed distance from no-load (jacked with wheel off the ground) to max up. Dexter also indicates that they can clock the axle over a broad range so by increasing the clocking say from 22 down to 32 degrees down would raise the trailer by about an inch.

I have also seen some indications that TM modified the plastic inner wheel well which is the easiest way to add tire clearance. Dexter does recommend 3" clearance from a loaded tire to the top but that may include an allowance for mud/snow. More when I can take more measurements.

As you can see from the enclosed exerpt from the Dexter catalog for a #10 series (3500 lb) Torflex axle, using the 32 deg value, the drop (measured at the spindle) for a low profile bracket with no load is 4.67". With rated load, 2.48", and shock (max) 1.31". To me the keys are the deltas.

If we consider that a 2720SL is already overloading a 3500 lb axle then the additional movement when you hit a bump should be no more than 1.17" Be interesting to see how this compares to reality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dextermovement.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	10094