Thread: Chevy Equinox
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Snowbird

Default 2417 KS Weight Estimate

Padgett & Retail,

Thank you for your replies and insights … I will try to answer your questions and see if it brings up more issues. As a little background, we snowbirded for 6 years in a Class A gasser motorhome. Every year, I would weigh it before taking off to Florida (DW always wanted to take more things every year , so I am very aware of GCWR, GVWR and axle weights, and, therefore sensitive to weight of the TV and trailer. We now have a park model, but miss the flexibility of traveling in the motorhome, therefore considering the TM.

The factory hitch on the car is very similar to the 12290 & 122903, however, Curt recommends the 12291 class 2 which is a box design and 13591 class 3 tube design for my 2014 Equinox V6. The hitch on the car is tube design with 1 ¼ receiver. When I crawl under I can see a sticker That says “ 3500 lbs Maximum Trailer Weight” and “ 400 lbs Maximum Tongue Weight”. The hitch closest to the factory hitch is the 13591 with a WDH at 400 lbs tongue weight13591 ( may have to click on details to see it). Therefore, have asked Curt for clarification.

The Equinox appears to have an integral transmission cooler, I cannot verify online. However, did find a schematic showing replacement tube and hoses connecting from radiator to transaxle. The car has only a 4 prong plug, so a brake controller would have to be installed and wired. Does the TM use the 6th wire to keep batteries charged in the trailer? Does TM use a break away kit?

The tv would have only DH, small pet, and some luggage in addition to me. Since I weigh more than 155 lbs (Chevy assumes for driver), we should subtract about 300 lbs from the towing weight. While our towing would be classified as moderate, we are very close to max.

We stopped and looked at the 2417KS on our way home from Florida … we are now 300 miles from the nearest dealer, so any insights would be appreciated.