View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Larryjb
TrailManor Master

Default Upcoming torsion bar replacement

Yes, I know, they have a lifetime warrantee. This applies to the original owner. Like most companies, TM expects people to replace their vehicles (TM) at least every 10 years. This leaves the 2nd owner (me) with the torsion bar replacement. I'm not blaming TM. That's just what companies do.

Metal springs fatigue over time, so torsion bars (which are springs of a sort) will also suffer from this. My front shell no longer opens easily and the torsion bar adjustment is adjusted to the maximum. I have not seen anyone report back on a torsion bar replacement, so I guess it will be mostly be up to me to do this. I will be ordering two new torsion bars soon, and will report back on how it goes.

However, I am hoping a few of you have some suggestions, or maybe have changed torsion bars yourself. I live in Canada and there are no TM dealers around who would know how to do this. Even if I go to WA, OR, or CA, they would have to order in the torsion bars, and I'd have to wait while they replace them leaving my family without any lodging. So, it is indeed, up to me. Good thing I've done a few crazy things in the past, like replace the heads of my truck, transmission solenoids of my front drive (worst job ever on a FWD... I will never own a FWD again as they are horrible to work on), and probably need to have my own head checked out.

So far, I think I have just one question. I believe the actual replacement will go just fine. My question will be about adjustment. Most torsion bar adjustment threads have to do with minor adjustments to deal with metal fatigue of the torsion spring, or a new added weight on the roof. There will be no "starting" point if you are replacing torsion bars. If you have replaced your own torsion bars, where did you start with your adjustment?

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote