View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #18
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh View Post
Bobby:

Thanks for all of the information. The 14" tires have a max pressure of 50 psi, so I don't see the need for metal stems to deal with high pressure. My boat trailer tires carry 60-65 psi with rubber stems. Kumho seems to make the only load range D 14" tires, so I guess they will be my next purchase.
Actually, Cooper/Mastercraft, Continental, Hankook and a few others make this 8 ply Euro tire. Yokohama makes one too, but last I saw theirs was a 6 ply.

Kumho seems to be one of the easiest to lay your hands on, because tire rack carries them, and will deliver them to your door.

For the extra few bucks it will cost, I would get the metal stems. The only tires that have a max of 50psi is your stock tires, these replacement 8 ply Euro tires have a max of 65psi (which is also the very max of a standard TR413 rubber valve stem). If you just don't want to go with a metal clamp in valve stem, at least get them to put a high pressure rubber stem in when you have your tires mounted. Tell them you want a TR600 valve stem (which is good to 100psi).

Don't confuse that with the XR-2200, which is the muffler bracket for the '79 Pinto?

(Sorry, I just had to put that in there, being one of my favorite quotes from the movie "Airplane")