View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Bill,

After your comments and RedHawks I am leaning toward getting a Reese WDH without sway control. If I did I would probably get the one with Trunnion bars that would allow addition of sway control(dual cam type) in the future if ever needed .... [D]o you think that sway control would provide any benifit during a swift swerve turn to avoid something? No experience here!!
Phil
Phil -

I suppose I have done over 40,000 miles with a TM in tow. On several occasions I have had to make a sudden swerve such as you describe. Sometimes it is done purposely, and so there is no element of surprise. Climbing the 2-inch edge back onto a piece of new pavement from a graded-down shoulder is a good example of this - you want to do it at a steep angle, so it involves a swerve. But about once a year it is done as a surprise, due to some external event. Sometimes it is an idiot jumping out from a side road. Sometimes the idiot is passing me, and cuts back in too soon. Sometimes, especially in the west, it involves coming out from behind an obstruction such as a grade cut, and encountering a sudden side wind. This is really exciting when you come out of the grade cut onto a bridge, such as the Navajo Bridge over the Colorado River in Marble Canyon in northern Arizona.

In every case, my palms sweat a bit. In some cases, it is my wife who is driving - we share about 50/50. Both of us have commented repeatedly that the TM is perfectly behaved. We don't like the situation, but sway is not one of the reasons.

That's my experience - take it for what it is worth. And I agree that preparing for the eventual need, however unlikely, by buying trunnion bars with the dipsy-doodle bend in the end, makes good sense.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote