View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
ib4classics

We are new owners of the TM also, we purchased it in early July.
I have Towed it home from the original owners home, (South Carolina) wihout the WDH, boy could I feel the need for it.
Then one trip so far to North Carolina with the WDH. I had to wait until I sold the old trailer to to adjust the WDH to the TM in case I needed to tow the old trailer somewhere for the buyer. It sold in 6 days on Craigslist.
Both times we got 14 mpg, the first trip the TM had nothing in it, nor did the TV, the second trip we had the TM loaded pretty much as we always will and almost everything we will carry in the TV.
Our 4 Runner has 3.73 gears and I have found with tow vehicles in the past with those gears, towing less than 5000 lbs the mileage does not change with an extra few hundre pounds.
We also pulled two long 6% grades on both trips.
Our 4 Runner has the computer read out near the radio so I can glance and see the milage
readout which according to the owners manual is monitered several times per second.
I average 18 mpg combined and have had as high as 23 mpg, gasing up at the interstate entrance and then flat driving at 60-65 mph which is about 18-1900 rpm with the 5 speed automatic solo.
I have done a manual check on the computer and it is very close.
We will be going to Florida this fall so I will have a long trip to check the milage. We are going for a month so we will have it loaded accordingly, especially since we may just continue to travel after that for awhile.
We have friends in Glendale AZ. and we may just head that way for the winter.
I will be anxious to see what mileage we get towing after we get out of the mountains of East Tennessee, and North Carolina but 14 so far is good.