View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #7
JohnMD

As always, thank you for the thoughtful responses and insight. I was leaning toward the suitcase, but am now reconsidering a permanent install. As I think about it, the following thoughts and questions come to mind.

1. On my 3023, it looks like I would have room for three 100 watt panels on the rear shell. For three panels, with hardware, it looks like that would add around 50 pounds of weight. For those who have installed hard panels, has the extra weight made a noticeable difference in opening the shell? Is this bad for the torsion system? Since the air conditioner on the front shell weighs more than this, I presume it’s no big deal, right?

2. Regarding VHB tape vs. fasteners, I think I would be paranoid about the tape failing resulting in the panels flying off with an ugly ending on a highway. Also, I wonder if removing the tape in the future would damage the paint/finish. My concern with drilling for fasteners is that, if I ever wanted to replace the panels or change configuration, then I’d have extra holes that I don’t want. So, I was wondering about this: Using some Z-brackets and aluminum bars, install a permanent “roof-rack” (two parallel bars like a luggage rack on a vehicle) on top of which additional aluminum bars could be bolted perpendicularly wherever needed, on which the solar mounts would be bolted. Then, if I desire or need to change out the solar panels or change the configuration, I could remove the panels and redesign the “grid system” that attaches to the permanent “roof-rack.” I would just need to drill different holes in the aluminum “roof-rack” bars. Does this make sense? Also, this would potentially eliminate the issue of mounting flat, rigid panels on a curved roof, right? Thoughts?

Thanks,

John