View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
fishpondwest

We have a 2003 Honda Pilot with AWD.
We tow a TM3124KS. We use a Reese WDH and prodigy brake controller and have found the Pilot to be a decent tow vehicle. Tow ability is good on the flat ground mileage is good. We generally tow in the D3 mode though sometimes when on flat we will shift to D and take advantage of the overdrive. In our experience when we get into the hills the Pilot will struggle a bit. We just slow down and sometimes shift down to D2 if we need to. The power range seems to be in the 3200 to 4000 RPM range so I try to keep it there shifting down if I have to and slowing our speed. We have towed up to about 4800 feet elevation but I can imagine if you get into the 6000 ft elevation and higher it might really, really struggle. I would like to see a bit longer wheel base on it as well as sometimes, especially downhill the weight of the trailer tries to push the rearend around a little bit. Knowing that, I am very careful especially in downhill situations. On the flat it is a dream however. We bought our trailer in South East Texas in February and pulled it home to Northern California, staying RV parks along the interstate on the way home and were very pleased. I will probably upgrade to a pickup with a longer wheelbase and more towing torque when we decide to get rid of the Pilot, but I love the car so much for the times we are not towing that I can't bring myself to change vehicles now. We are planning a cross country trip in December and January and will stay South in order to avoid the mountains and unpredictable weather and are very confident in the vehicle at this point.